- Mihai Popovici on the state of the industry November 30, 2018
On the walls of our Houston Z-Terra office, we have a lot of movie posters. It’s a tradition that started at 3DGeo when our office was across the road from Silicon Graphics, which made computers used for computer generated imagery and which had a lot of movie posters on its walls. We visited Silicon Graphics often for support. We kept the tradition at Z-Terra, and each poster comes from somebody’s favorite movies list. One of the posters is from Batman Begins and includes a quote from the movie: “Why do we fall, sir? So that we can learn to pick ourselves up.” We are starting to pick ourselves up as an industry.
- TLE article on the President’s Page on the Future of our Industry May 21, 2018
We are working in the largest industry in the world by revenue and market capitalization. The top 4 oil and gas companies ExxonMobil, Shell, Chevron and BP have a market capitalization of about $1 trillion and annual revenues in the same range. Yet these 4 companies represent only 18% of the total market, with the rest of 82% distributed among many National Oil Companies (NOC) like Saudi Aramco, Petronas, Petrobras, Pemex, Statoil, Sonangol, Ecopetrol, etc. The initial public offering (IPO) of Saudi Aramco in 2018 will create a company with a market capitalization in the $1-2 trillion range, the largest IPO in history, making Silicon Valley unicorns look like tiny blips in the market. This enormous value and value creation industry will not disappear overnight and be replaced by renewables and electric cars, as the media would like you to think.
Read the full article here: http://www.alexanderbrad.com/2017/12/the-future-of-our-industry/
- Houston Racquet Club Oil and Gas Society Speaker Series on Thursday, May 18th 2017 May 12, 2017
Starting Start-ups: Mistakes & Lessons Along the Road
We always have a crowd to hear our speakers, so please sign up as soon as possible so we can plan accordingly.
RSVP to Cristina at 713-464-4811 Ext. 125 or firstname.lastname@example.org by Friday, May 12.
Dr. Mihai Popovici
Alexander Mihai Popovici is Chief Executive Officer and Chairman at Z-Terra Inc., a provider of state-of-the-art geophysical and geological technology, services and software for the upstream oil and gas industry. He holds Ph.D. (1995) and M.Sc. (1991) degrees in geophysics from Stanford University, and an equivalent B.S. (1985) in geophysical and geological engineering from University of Bucharest, Romania. He escaped from Romania in 1986 and spent a year in a refugee camp in Austria. Dr. Popovici was co-founder and CEO of 3DGeo Inc. Dr. Popovici’s industry experience includes work in the seismic processing research department for Halliburton Geophysical Services in Dallas and Houston, and EM acquisition and processing in Romania. From 1987 to 1983, he was employed at Guzik Technical as a staff engineer for magnetic recording and software development.
He has nine patents in the field, over 100 publications in conference proceedings, books, trade journals, and research reports and has given numerous invited talks at conferences, geophysical associations, and geophysical workshops. He has been a member of the SEG Research Committee, served as Associate Editor (Seismic Migration) for Geophysics, and is past Chairman and founding board member of Geoscientists Without Borders, an SEG Foundation program that funds humanitarian applications of geophysics around the world. Currently he serves on the SEG Foundation Development Board and is the 2017 SEG Houston Technical Program Chairman.
Popovici is active in the community; he was president of Casa Romana, a non-profit organization serving Americans of Romanian origin living in the Bay Area. He was elected to this position in 1997 and built the largest Romanian community center and church on the West Coast. Casa Romana was dedicated in 1998 by the president of Romania Emil Constantinescu. At present he is Honorary Consul of Romania in Houston.
Dr. Popovici and his wife, Catherine, have four sons and one daughter. Together with Catherine, he established an SEG scholarship endowment fund that provides scholarships to students. He is a scuba diving instructor, active fencer, and played paintball with one of the first established pro teams. Today, he mostly plays with his kids, practices karate, rock climbs, hunts, and is working on his private pilot license.
- Z-Terra Named Number Seven on Houston Business Journal’s 2016 Fast Tech 25 October 4, 2016
Z-Terra has been recognized by the Houston Business Journal as being among the top ten fastest growing companies in the 2016 Houston Fast Tech 25.
- Mihai Popovici blogs about Smart Migrations July 13, 2016
Mihai Popovici shares his musings on innovative technology and Smart Migration algorithms on his blog.